Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Simbang Gabi

This evening, we went to St. Mary's Church to attend the first Simbang Gabi (Aguinaldo Mass or Misa de Gallo), a Catholic Advent tradition which is quite "popular" in my country. There was also the "Lighting of the BIG Christmas tree" ceremony in front of the Church and singing of Christmas carols by a choir. However, we didn't reach the Church compounds that early so we saw only the last number of the "program" (a dance performed by Indian girls which resembled the Pandanggo sa Ilaw dance in my country). The good thing was, we weren't late for the Holy Mass.

Simbang Gabi is a series of daily Eucharistic Celebrations nine days before Christmas. The mass was (and future masses will be) officiated by Rev. Fr. Zaki Parra, a Franciscan Capuchin Missionary. (NO, I don't think Capuchin is related to capuccino, the coffee...)

During the sermon, among other thought-provoking things, the priest explained the reason of the number "9"... of Simbang Gabi... or of the novena devotions, in general. He said it was taken from the number of days when the apostles had to wait in a room after Jesus Christ ascended to heaven. After nine days, the Holy Spirit came upon each of them and they spoke in tongues. Thus, the "9" days.

It is a common "belief" that if the Simbang Gabi masses are "completed" (meaning you attended all 9 Holy Masses), a prayer intention will be granted... (of course, provided you do your own share to materialize your prayer intention!)

I'm not sure how true that "belief" is. Honestly, I haven't "completed" Simbang Gabi in the past years. I don't really believe in the "completion" of Simbang Gabi, but I'm not making my "unbelief" (of that kind of miracle) an excuse to miss one Simbang Gabi Holy Mass. Unfortunately, I have other excuses!! (shame...shame on me!)

1 comment:

E. S. de Montemayor said...

rosies... yes, capuccino and the capuchins are related... :) forgot how.. but they are! cheers!